Friday, April 13, 2012

Rusting Dollar Store Safety Pins Tutorial


I had a gal say she couldn't get the Dollar Store safety pins to rust , because they have a coating .
 I do not have that problem and offered up advice along with another gal who uses them also .
I use an aluminum pie pan , peroxide , Vinegar , salt and a shot of bleach . I do this outdoors due to bad chemicals . I place my pins in the pan and add 1/4 cup of the vinegar and 1/4 cup of peroxide , a tablespoon of salt and a tablespoon of bleach . Set in the sun and leave them alone . I also add old leaves to the mix when I want them grubby . Adding the leaves , makes them rust and turn black with bits of grubbies . Try it and see . (-:
Hugs

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, that's a great tip, using an old aluminum pan or cookie sheet. And I've never heard of using leaves, that's another great tip. I'm glad you shared with us.
    Hugs,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post thank you kindly for sharing these tips.. hugs X

    ReplyDelete
  3. tahnks, I'll try again with this but is it white vinegar or apple cider your using, I swear I've tried them all

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe it might be Norther Maine has no SUN

    ReplyDelete
  5. I use white vinegar . Maybe try lemon juice too . Anything with acid . Have a wonderful weekend girls .
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing your rusting technique! I also had trouble rusting dollar store pins.

    ReplyDelete